Sometimes you read something in the paper and you just shake your head in bewilderment. Like with today’s saga of liberal idiocy.
There’s no disputing the fact that Essex County Freeholder Rufus Johnson was carjacked last week. Right in his own driveway. By three armed thugs. So now he’s lashing out. At the government, and himself.
Johnson was mum in the days immediately after being violently carjacked on Jan. 26, but spoke out late last week.
This isn’t his first brush with violence, either. Months earlier, Johnson was having breakfast at the counter of a mom-and-pop eatery popular with police and local clergy in the West Ward on 18th Avenue when gunfire erupted inside, leaving one man dead and two others injured.
Looking back on both incidents, Johnson said government leaders like himself must shoulder responsibility in combating violence by keeping youth from getting sucked into a life of crime.
“It’s a whole lot of things that contributed to what happened to me. It’s not just those kids,” he said.
A former basketball player who coached for nine years, Johnson, 56, also works as chief-of-staff for state Sen. Ronald Rice and describes himself as a longtime youth advocate. Over the past decade-and-a-half, Johnson said, government cutbacks have laid waste to the budgets of social services and youth recreation programs which he said are vital to a community’s health.
Carjacking is all too common in Newark. Caused, of course, by “government cutbacks.” No more midnight basketball? Pick up an Uzi and stick it in some guy’s face!