narrowly escapes death… but will have fingers and toes amputated
A 59-year-old man is out of hospital after spending a month in intensive care due to infection from the bubonic plague.
Paul Gaylord, 59, developed the symptoms after he was bitten by a stray cat his family had adopted.
The cat, named Charlie, had caught a rodent which was stuck in his throat. It is thought that the rat was infected by fleas, which carry the disease.
Initially, Mr Gaylord thought he had the flu when he developed a fever after the bite.
After antibiotics failed to make him feel better, he was rushed to hospital when his lymph nodes swelled to the size of lemons.